Smoked Cheddar And Onion Quiche
For the filling:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup light cream
- 2/3 cup Lammermuir smoked cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 cups plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 3 ounces cold butter, coarsely chopped
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons (approximately) iced water
- Blend or process flour, cheese and butter until crumbly.
- Add egg yolk and most of the water; process until ingredients just come together.
Enclose pastry in plastic wrap; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Oil a large round tart dish.
Roll the pastry between sheets of parchment paper until large enough to line the dish.
- Lift pastry into the dish; press into side, trim edge.
- Cover; refrigerate 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cover pastry with parchment paper, fill with dried beans or rice. Bake 10 minutes. Remove paper and beans; bake about 5 minutes or until browned lightly, and then cool.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large frying pan; cook onion, stirring, about 15 minutes or until caramelised. Remove from heat.
- Whisk eggs and cream together in large bowl; season.
- Place onion on top of pastry. Pour in egg mixture; sprinkle with cheese and thyme.
- Bake about 25 minutes or until set.
Recipe adapted from Food Republic
Level Easy Time 15MinServes 4Ingredients 160g mascarpone 60ml double cream 60ml lemon juice 2 Tbsp chopped dill 1 spring onion, finely chopped 200g smoked trout, flaked* Sea salt and cracked black pepper Instructions Mix the mascarpone, double cream, lemon juice, dill...
Level Easy Time 15MinServes 2Ingredients 150g crab meat Juice and zest of 2 limes Juice of 1 lemon 1 clove garlic, crushed 1 small bunch of parsley, chopped 2 spring onions, finely sliced 1 small red chilli, finely chopped 1 tspn sea salt Freshly ground black pepper...
Level Easy Time 30MinServes 4 Ingredients 2 tbsp Scottish rapeseed oil 1 small square of butter 1 small leek, washed and chopped 1 small onion, finely chopped 2 small cans sweetcorn 3 large potatoes, peeled and diced 200g pack of Hot Smoked Salmon pieces 250ml of...
Follow us on social...